Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Slovak Nut Roll

When I got the call to go to an old-fashioned tea party, with some new friends, I racked my brain for the perfect dessert to bring to impress them. Yes, I said impress them. I can't brag about loving food and keeping a blog if I picked up a bag of brownies at the supermarket bakery. Or even, Martha forbid, a mix.

This recipe is probably the only thing ever passed down in my family, so I treasure it like gold. It's a good dessert, not too sweet but light and bready. Plus the nuts are perfectly flavored with brown sugar and maple syrup. Just the smell of this in the oven brought me back to weekends in Pennsylvania with my Great Aunt Ann (and her three little dachsunds).

Here's the family gold - I always believed in spreading the wealth.

Nut Roll (Makes 5 Rolls)
Ingredients for Dough
2 sticks margarine (1 cup)
1 large yeast cake
8 oz sour cream
1 tsp salt
4 eggs, beaten
5-6 cups of flour

Dissolve yeast in sour cream, set aside. Mix flour, salt and margarine (as in a pie crust). Add yeast/sour cream mixture and eggs. Knead until smooth, adding more flour as necessary (dough should not be sticky).

Place in bowl and cover. Refrigerate at least 4 hours, or overnight.

Ingredients for Nut Filling
1 pound ground walnuts
1 stick margarine
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp maple extract (or maple syrup for the purists aka my mom)
1/4 cup warm milk

Mix together until well blended. Set aside and let cool.

Divide dough into 5 parts. Roll each into a rectangle shape, using 1/4 cup flour and 1 cup sugar (for all 5) so that the dough won't stick.

Spread each rectangle with 1/5 of the nut filling, almost to the edges.

Roll width-wise and seal with your fingers.

Sprinkle the tops lightly with sugar and bake in a 350 degree oven for 30 minutes.

Wait until cool before cutting into slices.

They were a big hit at the tea party, amongst all the microscopic sandwiches and iced cupcakes. I gave them away for free, but y'know at the annual Wilkes-Barre Slovak festival they fetch a pretty penny. Of course, I kept a roll just for myself...

6 comments:

Mary Ann said...

I have a similar recipe, and it tastes delicious; however, my rolls look less than perfect. They crack and bust. What am I doing wrong?

MrsGreenThumb said...

Hi,
My husband has been talking about the nut rolls his mother used to make. I found your recipe through Google. She used to make nut rolls and roshky. Those were individual pastries that she put apricot or nut filling into. Do you do that? Would you use the same dough?

Gingerbread Girl said...

Mary Ann - Have you tried brushing egg white on the crust before baking? That might help stop the cracking, and will also make it a richer brown color.

Gingerbread Girl said...

Mrs. Green Thumb - I've had those little pastries before, but I've never attempted to make them myself. I found another recipe for roshky that looks very similar to mine, but instead of separating into loaves they recommend you cut into triangles, fill and then roll up. I'll have to set aside some dough next time and try that...

Anonymous said...

The cookies are called Kolache, and some recipies I found online have dough similar to nut roll. Although my family used a recipe that used basically just flour, sugar, and cream cheese. Easy, and delicious. I have added a link for traditional Kolache.

http://www.angelfire.com/tx5/texasczech/kolaches/Kolache%20recipe.htm

Nicole said...

Love this recipe! Especially coming from right outside of Scranton... so we're practically NEPA neighbors! The only thing I altered was margarine-- I don't believe in using it. Too unhealthy/cancer connections and bad omegas. plus, butter gives a much better taste and texture.